Pages

2/10/16

L.M. Montgomery And Anne of Avonlea Rambles



THE STORY OF HOW I BECAME OBSESSED WITH L.M. MONTGOMERY

I listened to the Anne of Green Gables audio drama (done by Focus On the Family Radio Theater) and I decided to read the book. I borrowed it from my grandma (who is a fellow book lover :)), got almost all the way through, and then I spilled water all over it. So I gave it back to grandma saying how sorry I was, and didn't pick it up again until I found it at a homeschool book sale (seriously one of the best things ever to get involved in). I read it with a fresh outlook, and LOVED it.

By this time I had already watched BBC's Anne of Avonlea with Kim Braden, and enjoyed it quite a lot. The acting isn't fantastic but it's good nonetheless. I tried reading Anne of Avonlea and I just couldn't get into it for reason. Maybe because I watched the show and I already knew the basic storyline. Maybe I just wasn't giving it a chance. I don't have a clue. Anyway I decided to try it again a month or so ago.

I just recently finished it, and I want MORE.

The humor, the love, the characters, the descriptions, the imaginings of Paul and Anne, just, GAH. I really, really wish Avonlea was real. I want to live there. It is now my dream hometown. And I want miss Lavender to be my friend, Anne to be my writing consultant, and I want Echo Lodge to be my house thank you. Either that or Green Gables. or even Hester Gray's little space of land.

L. M. Montgomery has this way of writing that makes one almost taste the words as you read. It just slides deliciously like cream pie into your heart. Okay that sounded a little cliche, I know. But it's so true. It's like a little slice of heaven. Not exaggerating even a little.

SOME OF MY FAVORITE QUOTES FROM ANNE OF AVONLEA


"I like to fancy souls as being made of  light. And some are all shot through with Rosy stains and quivers...and some have a soft glitter like moonlight on the sea...and some are pale and transparent like mist at dawn." ~Anne.

"You're never safe from being surprised until you're dead." ~Rachel Lynde

"Anne and Paul both knew 
'How fair the realm 
Imagination opens to the view'
and both knew the way to that happy land. There the rose of  joy bloomed immortal by dale and stream; clouds never darkened the sunny sky; sweet bells never jangled out of tune; and kindred spirits abounded. The knowledge of that land's geography..."East o' the Sun, West o' the Moon"...is priceless lore, not to be bought in any marketplace. It must be the gift of good fairies at birth and the years can never deface it or take it away. It is better to posses it, living in a garret, than to be the inhabitants of palaces without it" ~Chapter XV
  


Of course I want to continue Anne's story now, but I'm also very eager to read other L.M. Montgomery books. Like Emily of New Moon and The Blue Castle. Have any of you read others? Were they good? I'd love to know! :) 

Well I'll stop this ramble now. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did (;D). 

Love,

Emilie


6 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm sooo happy you're loving Montgomery's writing!! :) And I'm super excited you've seen the Kim Braden mini-series. Yes, I know it has a few issues, but I've really come to love it and I'm thinking of doing a review for it sometime this year. I grew up watching the Megan Follows version, though (vol. 1 & 2). Have you seen those?

    I've been able to read quite a lot of L.M.M. and I think my favorite of the Anne books are "Anne of the Island" and "Anne of Windy Poplars." Also (and it DOES have to be read with discretion), but my very favoritest of her books entirely is The Blue Castle. :)

    My sister actually just posted a different review that you might be interested in, too. Here's the link for that: http://ofhorseselvesandmen.blogspot.com/2016/02/book-review-jane-of-lantern-hill-by-lm.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not yet seen the Megan Follows version but I'm very much excited to get a hold of it one day! And I really enjoyed your sisters review. I can't wait to read more! :D

      Delete
  2. I've read all of the stories about Anne and I read Rilla's story. I LOVE them all!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the quote about imagination!! It inspires me to be more imaginative, and sometimes I need that! :)

    ReplyDelete